Visitor Services and Operations Assistant
We are looking for a trustworthy and personable Visitor Services and Operations Assistant to assist in the day-to-day operations of the museum. The Visitor Services and Operations Assistant's responsibilities include assistance with the maintenance and upkeep of all building facilities, as well as frontline visitor engagement.
Manager of Visitor and Member Services
Part-time, 16-20 hours a week.
Weekends are required - opportunity for additional and flexible weekday hours as Covid-19 restrictions are lifted will become available
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Welcome all museum visitors by maintaining a friendly and informative environment.
- Anticipate and respond to visitor needs by providing accurate and helpful information about the Museum and its offerings in person, over the phone, and via email.
- Efficiently and effectively process visitors using computerized ticketing system.
- Promote and inform visitors about the benefits of membership and the application process.
- Act with integrity and honesty in safeguarding museum income, working with cash, credit cards, tickets, coupons, and all financial related transactions.
- Keep track of supply and material inventories.
- Assist with set up for on-site meetings, educational programs, and special events, including but not limited to, moving and arranging furniture, assisting with tech support, set-up and break-down of event materials, and post-event clean up.
- Work directly with the Manager of Visitor and Member Services to complete small- and large-scale facility projects for the museum.
- Help maintain a clean and safe museum environment for visitors and staff.
- High school diploma
- Well-organized and thorough with close attention to detail and follow through
- Ability to constructively work with Visitors Services staff
- Ability to assist with event planning and execution
- Knowledge of building operations and maintenance is preferred
- Experience working with sales and inventory databases preferred
- Experience as a key-holder preferred
- Excellent communicator: able to work positively and flexibly with all departments of the NLM to reach consensus and achieve goals.
The work environment and physical demands and characteristics are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions:
- Physical Demands: Requires some physical activity including sitting/standing, limited lifting and carrying (up to 50 lbs.), up/downstairs
- Work Environment: Work is typically performed in an indoor environment, in museum offices or on museum floor
- Equipment: General office equipment, projector, Smart Board, two-way radio
Work Environment/ Office Culture:
We are proud of our Museum family and work each day to create an atmosphere where everyone can contribute their ideas, energy and enthusiasm for the important services we provide to the public. We emphasize working together as a team which is cooperative and supportive of each other, with open communication always.
Our management team is committed to providing an atmosphere of trust and open communication and to listen to and answer any staff questions or concerns. We believe in giving each staff person opportunities to grow and will always promote from within and where possible.