Writer and Editor
The Free Library of Philadelphia Foundation is searching for a highly organized individual with strong and well-developed written and oral communications skills to be an integral part of our team. Reporting to the Director of Communications and Marketing—and working closely with the Communications and Development teams—the Writer and Editor will help craft, streamline, and disseminate key Library and Foundation messages through a wide variety of written and oral communications pieces. Successful candidates will be a thorough editor and adaptable writer who thrives in a fast-paced environment, and will contribute to the Library’s aim to increase equity and inclusion in our institution and throughout our city.
- Edit, write when necessary, and proofread a variety of promotional materials from Foundation and City departments, including fliers; exhibition cards; collateral materials for system-wide events such as One Book, One Philadelphia and Summer Reading; Author Events materials and blurbs; and more
- Research and write annual reports and key portions of Off the Shelf, our donor newsletter, as well as content for monthly e-newsletters, brochures, contributions to the blog on a regular basis, and other Library print and digital publications
- Edit and proofread a variety of promotional materials from The Rosenbach, including monthly e-newsletters; seasonal programming mailers; membership brochures; event invitations; and more
- Offer creative contributions for content/taglines for the Free Library’s ad campaigns and promotions
- Edit, write when necessary, and proofread reports, letters, and proposals for the Development department
- Write Author Event introductions for VIPs, donors, and board members
- Prepare remarks for the President and Director of the Library (and occasionally others, such as board members) for Library events and outside speaking engagements
- Proofread exhibition text for the Free Library and The Rosenbach
- Research, write, and submit applications for awards submitted on behalf of the Library or its programs as needed
- Undertake other writing and editing tasks as assigned
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- At least two years of previous professional editing and writing experience.
- Experience writing for diverse audiences and target reading levels.
- Superior knowledge of grammar, syntax, and publication-ready text requirements.
- Superior knowledge of and commitment to inclusive language practices, digital accessibility standards, and plain language guidelines.
- Ability to work with a style guide; knowledge of AP style desirable.
- Ability to work quickly and effectively under pressure.
- Ability to write for wide variety of audiences, ranging from specific donor groups to all Library patrons.
- Capacity to pay close attention to detail while working in a fast-paced environment.
- High degree of organization and the ability to plan, track, and execute projects on time.
- Ability to coordinate with other staff, meet deadlines, and manage multiple tasks.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office and digital project management software required.
- Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent experience, in communications, journalism, English, or marketing.
This position has a Full Benefit Package: Health, dental, life, and disability insurances; flex benefits and retirement plan; generous leave time allowance.